Medicare Part B offers two types of yearly visits that provide the opportunity for you and your healthcare provider to develop a personalized strategy for managing your health and preventing disease. Although the visits are not the same as an annual physical exam, they provide time to discuss your health concerns with your primary care provider.
Welcome to Medicare Wellness Visit
The Welcome to Medicare Wellness visit is a free, one-time introductory preventive visit available to all new Medicare Part B beneficiaries during their first 12 months of enrollment.
Annual Medicare Wellness Visit
The Annual Medicare Wellness visit is for those enrolled in Medicare Part B for more than 12 months. Those who didn’t take advantage of the Welcome to Medicare visit in the first year of enrollment are still eligible for the Annual Wellness visit.
What can I expect during the visits?
Both visits begin with a review of your medical and social history, including any medications you take.
The provider will also:
- Measure your height, weight and blood pressure.
- Calculate your body mass index.
- Discuss risk factors for depression and other behavioral health conditions, and your ability to function safely in your home and community.
- Develop or update your personalized prevention strategy.
- Provide counseling and referrals that address any health issues identified during the visit.
- Provide a written checklist for other preventive services covered by Medicare.
The Welcome to Medicare visit also includes a simple vision test and discussion on health care advance directives.
What is the cost?
Both visits are free when you see a ProHealth Medical Group provider. The Medicare Part B deductible doesn't apply. However, if additional tests or services are performed during these visits that are not covered under the Medicare preventive benefits, you may incur coinsurance fees and the Part B deductible may apply.
How do I schedule either visit?
- Contact your primary care provider's office to make your appointment.
- Or, if you need help finding a provider, search our online physician directory.
How do I prepare for either visit?
Prior to your appointment, please download and complete the appropriate questionnaire and bring it with you to your appointment. Answering these health questions will assist in developing your personalized prevention strategy and enable you to get the most out of your visit.
Welcome to Medicare Questionnaire - Female
Welcome to Medicare Questionnaire - Male
Annual Medicare Questionnaire - Female
Annual Medicare Questionnaire - Male